Home » Posts tagged 'tapa wedding dress'
Tag Archives: tapa wedding dress
For as long as I can remember I wanted a Tapa wedding dress for my wedding and 12 years ago I did just that when it wasn’t in vogue. It is so nice to see the creativity and popularity grow. Hope you enjoy my little tribute to the wonderful creations. If you’re a bride-to-be, may it inspire you.
Five things/ vocabulary to know about Tapa.
- Tapa is cloth made from the bark of the mulberry tree.
- Feta’aki is the white cloth before any dye or design (kupesi) is put on to make it the final product called a ngatu.
- Ngatu ‘uli (plain all black-coloured) is the chiefly of all types of ngatu.
- Koka’anga is the term for the making of the Tapa.
- Fale koka’anga is where traditional learning and knowledge is shared for all the women.
- When a ngatu presentation is done you will hear the Matapule say “Fakafetaʻi e koka’anga” (Thank you for your Tapa presentation).
Like and Comment which one is your favourite.
Tu’a ‘ofa atu Hema.