In anyoneʼs language kids know how to smile and give them a toy camera and they start acting like professional photographers and happily snap away. So this is a great way to teach Tongan to your kids. Not only are they having fun but they are also learning simple phrases.
Here are some useful vocabulary when you’re playing imaginary paparazzi and superstar or for real life photo shoots.
- For Beginners: You could take photos until they get familiar with the phrases.
- For Intermediate: They could take photos of you and give you directions
Ko e ngaahi kupu’i lea ma’ae toko-taha fai-ta’ (Phrases for the photographer)
- Malimali! – Smile!
- taha ua tolu malimali – 1 2 3 smile!
- Hanga mai! – Turn this way!
- Hanga ki hē! – Turn that way!
- Unu atu! – Move away!
- Unu mai! – Move closer!
- Tu’u ma’u! – Stand still!
- Tangutu ma’u – Sit still!
- Sio mai! – Look this way!
- Sio ki ‘olunga – Look up!
- Sio ki lalo – Look down!
- Ko ia – that’s it!
- Faka’ofo’ofa – beautiful
- Talavou – handsome
- Ai fakalelei – Do it properly
- La’i tā – a photo
- tangata fai-tā – photographer (male)
- fefine fai-tā – photographer (female)
Hope this helps you and if you have other phrases to add let me know
Tu’a ‘ofa atu